Wind turbine accidents and wind energy risks have drawn certain attention of the academic community.
Here is a list of some of the papers on the topic.
Asian, S., Ertek, G., Haksoz, C., Pakter, S. and Ulun, S., 2017. Wind turbine accidents: A data mining study. IEEE Systems Journal, 11(3), pp.1567-1578.
(Draft of the paper can also be obtained from the same link
- Chen, C. Li, and J. Xu. “Failure investigation on a coastal wind farm damaged by super typhoon: A forensic engineering study,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, vol. 147, pp. 132-142, Dec. 2015.
- Chen, and J. Z. Xu. “Structural failure analysis of wind turbines impacted by super typhoon Usagi,” Engineering Failure Analysis, vol. 60, pp. 391-404, Feb. 2016.
- Ashrafi, H. Davoudpour, and V. Khodakarami, “Risk assessment of wind turbines: Transition from pure mechanistic paradigm to modern complexity paradigm”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 51, pp. 347-355, Nov. 2015.
- Jin, W. Ju, Z. Zhang, L. Guo, and X. Yang, “System safety analysis of large wind turbines,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 56, pp. 1293-1307, Apr. 2016.
- S. Chou, and W. T. Tu, “Failure analysis and risk management of a collapsed large wind turbine tower,” Engineering Failure Analysis, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 295-313, Jan. 2011.
- Zhang, Z. Yin, T. Han, and A. C. Tan, “Fracture analysis of wind turbine main shaft,” Engineering Failure Analysis, vol. 34, pp. 129-139, Dec. 2013.
- Chen, W. Zhao, X. L. Zhao, and J. Z. Xu, “Preliminary failure investigation of a 52.3 m glass/epoxy composite wind turbine blade,” Engineering Failure Analysis, vol. 44, pp. 345-350, Sep. 2014.
- Braam, L.W.M.M. Rademakers, “Guidelines on the Environmental Risk of Wind Turbines in the Netherlands,” Global Wind Energy Conference, Paris, 2002. Available: ftp://18.104.22.168/pub/www/library/report/2004/rx04013.pdf
- Yasuda, T. Fujii, K. Yamamoto, N. Honjo, and S. Yokoyama, S, “Classification of wind turbine blade incidents regarding lightning risk management,” In Lightning Protection (ICLP), 2014 IEEE International Conference, pp. 986-991, Oct. 2014.
- Konstantinidis, E, Botsaris, P. Wind turbines: current status, obstacles, trends and technologies. In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. IOP Publishing. 2016: 1-8.
- Sarlak H, Sørensen JN. Analysis of throw distances of detached objects from horizontal‐axis wind turbines. Wind Energy. 2016; 19(1):151-66.
- Chen X, Xu JZ. Structural failure analysis of wind turbines impacted by super typhoon Usagi. Engineering Failure Analysis. 2016; 29(60):391-404.
- Chou JS, Tu WT. Failure analysis and risk management of a collapsed large wind turbine tower. Engineering Failure Analysis. 2011; 18(1):295-313.
- Chou JS, Chiu CK, Huang IK, Chi KN. Failure analysis of wind turbine blade under critical wind loads. Engineering Failure Analysis. 2013; 27:99-118.
- Li ZQ, Chen SJ, Ma H, Feng T. Design defect of wind turbine operating in typhoon activity zone. Engineering Failure Analysis. 2013; 27:165-72.
- Sovacool BK, Andersen R, Sorensen S, Sorensen K, Tienda V, Vainorius A, Schirach OM, Bjørn-Thygesen F. Balancing safety with sustainability: assessing the risk of accidents for modern low-carbon energy systems. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2016;112:3952-65.
- Yuan J, Na C, Xu Y, Zhao C. Wind turbine manufacturing in China: A review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2015; 51:1235-44.
- Ciang CC, Lee JR, Bang HJ. Structural health monitoring for a wind turbine system: a review of damage detection methods. Measurement Science and Technology. 2008;19 (12):122001.
- Carbone G, Afferrante L. A novel probabilistic approach to assess the blade throw hazard of wind turbines. Renewable energy. 2013; 51:474-81.
- Tavner PJ, Greenwood DM, Whittle MW, Gindele R, Faulstich S, Hahn B. Study of weather and location effects on wind turbine failure rates. Wind energy. 2013; 16(2):175-87.
- Yamamoto K, Sumi S. Validations of lightning protections for accidents at a wind farm. In Lightning Protection (XII SIPDA), International Symposium on Lightning Protection (XII SIPDA). 2013: 329-334.
- Bai X, Sun L, Sun H. Risk Assessment of Hoisting Aboard and Installation for Offshore Wind Turbine. InASME 31st International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering 2012:107-114.
- Zhao H, Zhang X, Guo W. Early Fault Prediction of Wind Turbine Drivetrain System. 2017.
- Han Z, Cao Y, Jia H, Wang J, Lu L. Analysis on and precautions against large-scale wind turbines off-grid. In Advanced Power System Automation and Protection (APAP), International Conference, 2011; 3: 1974-1980.
- Dong K, Li T, Yin H. Fault analysis and intelligent diagnosis of wind turbine generator set, 2016.
- Watanabe F, Uchida T. Micro-Siting of Wind Turbine in Complex Terrain: Simplified Fatigue Life Prediction of Main Bearing in Direct Drive Wind Turbines. Wind Engineering. 2015; 39(4):349-68.
- Sun H, Zhang Z, Lin W, Tang Y, Luo X, WANG A. Analysis on serious wind turbine generators tripping accident in northwest china power grid in 2011 and its lessons. Power System Technology. 2012; 36(10):76-80.
- Juchuan DA. Dynamic characteristics analyzed of large scale directly-driven wind turbines under blade fracture accident condition. Journal of Mechanical Engineering. 2013; 49(2):190-8.
- Alves MM, Pirmez L, Rossetto S, Delicato FC, de Farias CM, Pires PF, dos Santos IL, Zomaya AY. Damage prediction for wind turbines using wireless sensor and actuator networks. Journal of Network and Computer Applications. 2017; 80:123-40.
- Asuda O, Funabashi T. Transient analysis on wind farm suffered from lightning. In Universities Power Engineering Conference, IEEE; 2004: 202-206.
- Mehdi RA, Schröder-Hinrichs JU. A Theoretical Risk Management Framework for Vessels Operating Near Offshore Wind Farms. InMARE-WINT. Springer International Publishing; 2016: pp. 359-400.
- Lehnert LS, Kramer-Schadt S, Schönborn S, Lindecke O, Niermann I, Voigt CC. Wind farm facilities in Germany kill noctule bats from near and far. PloS one. 2014; 9(8):103-106
- Zong H, Wang H, Tian S, Gao X. A life test method and result analysis for slewing bearings in wind turbines. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science. 2015; 229(18):3499-514.
- Mogre R, Talluri S, D’Amico F. A Decision Framework to Mitigate Supply Chain Risks: An Application in the Offshore-Wind Industry. 2017. 63(3): 316-325. DOI: 10.1109/TEM.2016.2567539.